We hope you had a wonderful summer and are ready for a great school-year! We welcome all of our new students and look forward to getting to know all our new families soon.
As school counselors, our goal is to help every student be the best student they can be;this includes working directly with students as well as collaborating with families and staff.
Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help your child this year!
Meet our Counselor’s.....
Mrs. Salisbury, Lower Academy Counselor
Mr. Kevin Sepulveda, Upper Academy School Counselor
Mrs. Sims, Lower/Upper Academy School Counselor
- As part of the Values Matter Districtwide initiative, each month of the 2019-2020 school year is dedicated to one of the core values. Throughout the year teachers will infuse activities and lessons which highlight the nine core values monthly.
- During the month of October it is expected that schools infuse the value of RESPONSIBILITY. The October "Responsibility" Newsletter is a resource for school sites. It contains suggested activities and links to lessons. Please visit the Values Matter website at http://osi.dadeschools.net/valuesmatter/ to access the newsletter and for literacy connections for the first nine weeks and other Values Matter supporting materials.
- Each month every teacher can nominate one student who is deserving of the recognition as the "Responsibility Matters Student of the Month" . One student from each academic level will be recognized at the November School Board Meeting. The nomination survey can be found by clicking https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RESPMAT.
How to help children deal with frustration
- Take the time to listen
- Listen, quietly and attentively
- Respect your child’s feelings
- Be aware of non-verbal communication
- Handle excuses without making commands
We all play an indispensable role in developing children’s self-confidence; take the time to listen and accept children’s feelings.
Counseling Resources and Websites
Mental Health Centers and Crisis Units Locations
Counselors are available daily on Microsoft Teams and Remind
Mrs. Salisbury (Lower Academy-Grades K-4) 9:00a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Mr. Sepulveda (Upper Academy-Grades 5-8) 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Mrs. Sims (Upper Academy)-Grades 5-8) 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
MIAMI-DADE PUBLIC SCHOOLS VIRTUAL LIBRARY
FLORIDA VIRTUAL SCHOOL
MY CAREER SHINES FOR KIDS
MY CAREER SHINES FOR MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL
Time Management for Students
Note Taking Skills
MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
• District Help Desk for Mental Health: 305-995-7100